Tuesday, January 16, 2007

hardcore

Just over a week ago, I went to see a hardcore show.

My girlfriend's brother is the drummer in a hardcore band that appears to have a fairly large underground following. So, we rented a car and drove to a venue in Lemoyne, PA to see them play.


Great guys, all around. I have a few friends who have played in metal bands, too, and they're also great guys. Hardcore is (relatively) new to me. Not my type of music, but mostly because of the vocal styling. I've always been a sucker for lyrics I can understand. Still, I had a good time. These guys were definitely talented - I was especially impressed with the drummer/brother. Plus, we went to Waffle House after the show (before the longish drive back to DC).

What really got me was the...dancing? I don't know what you would call it. Mosh pits are so 1990s. It's the aughts, and the new style is flailing wildly and jump kicking. I didn't see anyone accidentally punch anyone else in the face, which was shocking considering how close they were to one another. I did see someone purposefully punch someone else in the face, which is always nice.

Anyway, if you're into hardcore, check them out. They're a talented group with a shockingly positive social message. Keep them 'taters peeled, y'all, for Ignite the Will.

For you Minnesotans, they'll be at the Triple Rock Social Club in February. Go have some punk rock breakfast and then go back to see the show.

No comments: