Wednesday, December 6, 2006

the invisible friends

Last Saturday night, I went with the lady and two friends to see my favorite Venezuelan disco-funk band, Los Amigos Invisibles.

I'll let that phrase sink in for a minute.

The first time I Los Amigos Invisibles on saw the band was when they opened for Soul Coughing on my college campus. The second time was this past year at the Austin City Limits festival. Obviously, I enjoyed them enough that I thought it was time to make a third trip.

The show was at Black Cat here in D.C.; a small venue with a raised stage ("small venue" referring to Black Cat, and not to The District).

The opening band was Bio Ritmo, a salsa band. They were clearly talented, but the music was hit-or-miss. I'm glad that we were there for part of their set, and also glad that we missed part of it. That seems reasonable for an opening act, and so I can't complain.

Los Amigos Invisibles came on after a reasonable break, and they brought a lot of energy with them. I can't tell you how long their first song was, but I can tell you that they played for an hour straight right at the top of the show. No breaks, no sit-downs...just a solid hour of songs blended together.

Okay, so I used Photoshop. It didn't really look like this.

The band sounds very much like you would expect a Venezuelan disco-funk band to sound. They're very upbeat, they use keyboard and bongos, and play a sometimes breezy guitar. Also, plenty of the songs are in Spanish. I'm sure that I missed a lot of the lyrics, as my skills have regressed to maybe 2nd year high school Spanish class (past perfective? mwuh?), but the lyrics weren't really the point for me.

I can't really recommend a particular album for you, since I don't have any of them. I can however recommend that you see the live show, if you want to boogie. Or, as in my case, boogie down.

Search for Los Amigos Invisibles on:
Amazon
iTunes

No comments: